Thursday, April 29, 2010

Precious Moments!

I just wanted to share something with all of you that follow our class blog!
These last couple of months before Summer break is a rough one for Special Education teachers. We have many meetings to prepare for and conduct as well as many other demands. This year has been especially difficult with the talk of budget cuts, job loses, etc. However, we continue to work hard and do our best, as we should, simply because WE LOVE OUR JOBS!
Today, I was reminded why I do what I do everyday! When we returned from lunch today, we had a 1st grade class come to our room to share in music time with us. As we were waiting for them to arrive, I was sitting at my desk filling out agendas and organizing homework to be sent home. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone walking towards my desk. When I looked up, I saw Enoch standing beside me. Many of you know Enoch. He is such a precious child. He is nonverbal and has the most beautiful big brown eyes. As I looked at Enoch, he inched closer and closer to me. Immediately, he put his arms around my shoulder and gave me a hug. It was a very soft hug (he was careful not to get to close), but it meant the world to me. No one had prompted him. No one had told him to come over and do it. When I returned the hug, Enoch simply and quietly just walked away and sat down with the other students.
Somehow Enoch knew that I needed that sweet gesture at that very moment. In that moment, that required no words whatsoever, Enoch reminded me why I live for this job, why I love my students so much, and why I do what I do!
Love, Ms. Malcom

No comments: