Monday, November 7, 2011

September 11th

On September 11th, we remembered that day in American history that those of us who experienced it will never forget.
I remember exactly where I was the moment that I found out America had been attacked. I was a freshman at Oxford College and was on my way to my Anthropology class. When I got to class, there was note on the door that said "Class Cancelled. Turn on your TV." I went back to my dorm and watched the TV in horror. I couldn't believe that what I was seeing was real. My first thought, at 18 years old, was "I want my Mama." Do you remember where you were?
Luckily, our students are too young to have witnessed firsthand the tragedy that occurred on 9-11. To them, this day is a day to remember lives lost and a day to learn/ celebrate what it means to be an American!
Every year, our school has a rememberance ceremony. We honor service men/ women, say the "Pledge of Allegience", sing songs such as "The Star Spangled Banner" and "America the Beautiful", and pause for moments of silence at the times when the tragedies occurred. The pictures below are from this year's ceremony.

God Bless the USA!

No comments: